Especially for those of you who are new to the State Meet, we wanted to share a somewhat lengthy overview of our plans in advance of our trip (Sun 2/16 – Tues 2/18) to Titcomb Mountain, 180 Ski Slope Road, Farmington. Closer to the date of the race, we will have some additional information for you including a suggested packing list.
If you’d like to take a look at the detailed schedule for the meet, Maine High School skiing has provided THIS summary. As a reminder, we are a Class C team. Barring delays or schedule changes, the girls will race at 1 PM on 2/17 and at 10:30 AM on 2/18. Boys start at 3 PM on 2/17 and 12 PM on 2/18. Day 1 is the Classic race and those finish times dictate the order and start times for Day 2, an exciting Freestyle Pursuit.
1. WAX POLICY FORM: Please sign and return the attached form regarding the MPA wax policy to Ben’s office at some point this week or plan to hand it in at Wednesday or Saturday’s races this week. The MPA has asked all States participants to have this agreement on file with their coaches.
2. HOUSING: The coaches, chaperones, and skiers will all be staying at the Wilson Lake Inn in Wilton, which is located about 15 min from the races at Titcomb. The Inn was able to provide a block of rooms for us, and every skier will have their own bed. Waynflete has reserved this block and will cover the cost of housing those skiers and coaches who will be attending States. The Waggs and Werners will also be staying at the hotel as chaperones. Unfortunately, due to budgetary constraints and the high demand for lodging in the area, we do not have additional rooms we can offer to families.
3. TRAVEL: The team bus (W-1) will leave from Waynflete on Sunday, Feb 16 at 12:45 PM sharp to arrive at Titcomb in time for some course preview skiing. Please make sure you are at Waynflete no later than 12:30 PM to load up all our equipment. Ideally, all skiers will travel with the team. But please make arrangements with Ben in advance if you will be meeting us at Titcomb (at approximately 2:45 PM).
For our North of Portland skiers: if a group of you would prefer to meet us in the Lewiston/Auburn area, W-1 can make a brief stop at the Exit 75 Park & Ride in Auburn (shortly before 1:30 PM).
The team will return to Waynflete on Tuesday 2/18 in W-1 after the days’ events. As this is the first time Classes A, B and C will be racing at a combined event, we cannot accurately predict our post-awards departure time beyond saying roughly mid- to late-afternoon. After we have packed up the bus and are ready to head out, skiers are welcome to travel home with their families. Please let Ben know in advance that you plan to pick up your skier. Note: Skiers will have all of their ski equipment and baggage with them at Titcomb since we will need to check out of the hotel on Tuesday morning.
4. FOOD: Several water bottles and snacks galore are always a great idea. In addition, during the trip, Waynflete provides the following meals:
Dinner Sunday 2/16 @ 6PM (at The Homestead)*; Breakfast Monday 2/17 (at the hotel); Bag Lunch Monday (at Titcomb); Dinner Monday @ 6PM (at The Homestead)*; Bag Breakfast Tuesday 2/18 (on the bus); Bag Lunch Tuesday (at Titcomb).
* On both Sunday and/or Monday, families are welcome to join the team for dinner by reserving and purchasing their meals from the team’s pre-selected menu. We will send out the menu and a request for the number of family members attending (if any) in the near future. Homestead’s food is DELICIOUS and these dinners often provide a fun way to bond with the team in a delightfully heated venue.
That’s it for now! But please don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any questions before or during States.